AUSANGATE MOUNTAIN TREK, 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS
The Ausangate (6,398 m.a.s.l.) is considered to be one of the most beautiful snow-capped mountains of the Andes. The region around the mountain offers impressive scenery of mountains, glaciers, lagoons and streams. Furthermore, the Andean people are very hospitable and preserve the respect for nature. The farmers have excellent knowledge in the raising of cattle, vicuña, alpaca and llama, which are all valued for their fine quality wool and meat. The 4 hour drive from Cusco to Tinqui is an excellent preparation for adjusting to the differences in temperature and altitude.
ALTITUDE: 3,900 – 5,200 m.a.s.l.
HIGH-SEASON: May – November
DURATION: 05 Days - 04 Nights
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: Moderate
*A minimum of 2 persons is required for this trek.
DAY 1: Cusco – Urcos – Tinqui - Upis
We will leave Cusco early in the morning by bus, then on our way to Tinqui (3,900 m.a.s.l.) we will pass little farms and enjoy the beautiful landscape. After a little picnic in Tinqui, we will start on foot towards the community of Upis (4,400 m.a.s.l.). Along the way, we will meet local families who will show us some examples of their textile work, created to honor nature and Andean symbols. We spend the night in Upis camping site, also the possibility to enjoy hot springs.
Transport time: 4 hours
Hiking time: approx. 5 hours
DAY 2: Upis – Arapa pass – Yana cocha – Extreme Ausangate pass – Laguna Ausangate
After breakfast, we will ascend towards the first pass, Arapa (4,800 m.a.s.l.). Next, we will descend towards Yana Cocha and have a picnic. Our route continues ascending towards the extreme Ausangate pass (4,850 m.a.s.l.)) and ends at the shore of the Ausangate Lagoon (4,650 m.a.s.l) where we will camp.
Hiking time: approx. 7 hours
DAY 3: Ausangate Lagoon – Palomani pass – Jampa
This day of the trek is both the most beautiful and the most arduous one. First we ascend towards the highest pass of this trek called the Palomani pass (5,200 m.a.s.l.). From here, we will have an exceptional view of the mountains and glaciers of Ausangate then we descend to the valley of Finaya Pampa and finally arrive Jampa, (4,700 m.a.s.l.), where we will camp for the night.
Hiking time: approx. 8 hours
DAY 4: Jampa – Campa pass – Pacchanta
The highlight of day 4, is definitely the spectacular ascend to the Campa pass (5,100 m.a.s.l.). Following this we pass several lovely lagoons on the way to our camping site in Pacchanta (4,350 m.a.s.l.) where we will visit the hot springs and have a typical dinner before retiring for the night.
Hiking time: approx. 8 hours
DAY 5: Pacchanta - Tinqui - Cusco
After breakfast, our trek continues towards the village of Tinqui (3,900 m.a.s.l.), where we will take a bus back to Cusco. On the way we will visit either Tipon or Saylla and enjoy a typical dish from the region, such as guinea-pig or chicharrón (grille pork).
(Typical dish of the region included)
Hiking time: approx. 3 hours
Transport time: approx. 4 hours
AUSANGATE TREK, 5 DAYS (PRIVATE)
• Transport from the hotel to the town of Tinqui
• Return transport from Tinqui to Cusco
• Entrance to the Ausangate park
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
• High quality camping equipment (professional tents, Doite model Cima 4, extra light/4,5kgs for two persons. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent)
• Meals during the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks/option vegetarian)
• Cook and cooking equipment
• Horseman and mules, for all our camping equipment and personal luggage (8 kilos maximum per person)
• Emergency horse (for minimal 2 persons)
• First-aid kit, oxygen bottle and safety rope
• Breakfast on the first day.
• Sleeping bag (if you do not have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of lending one)
What Do I Need to Bring?
Backpack with rain cover, sleeping bg, clothing for warm and cold climates , waterproof jacket, rain poncho, rain pants, lightweight pants, trekking shoes, woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved t-shirts, hat, bathing suit, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs in Aguas Calientes), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle , sterilizing tablets, toiletries, toilet paper, wet wipes, camera (wrapped in plastic bag), flash light and batteries, snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit. You must have your original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Most of the people living in the region of Ausangate are very poor and live from breeding livestock and cultivation. In an effort to help these people, we along with a small group of farmers, are collecting funds to distribute to the local people. A small voluntary donation can help them to buy for example, clothes or school equipment. The families will be very grateful.
1. We will climb up to 5,200 m.a.s.l. When combined with extreme weather this trek can be hard work. We want you to remember this trek with a smile on your face, therefore, please ensure that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy.
2. Since the weather can be very cold and damp, your clothes, once wet, won’t dry at night, so be sure to take several extra changes of clothing.
DISCOVERY PERU TRAVEL
Address: PORTAL PANES 123 INTERIOR OFICINA 103 PRIMER PISO CENTRO COMERCIAL LOS RUISEÑORES
Phone: +51-084 -241667
Cell: +51 - 984672974 - 974999940 - 974999950
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org